Monday, July 27, 2009

60s Girl Groups.



I have a girl group itch. I don't know what happened. I started thinking about The Shangri-las and it just came rolling over me like the heroin. I WANT MORE.

I started digging deeper and I found out that Beatlemania (and no, I cannot go 20 minutes without a reference) began this craze of girl groups. It seems like a lot of them came from New York. You've got the most famous one, and I think, the only one that lasted through 1966, The Supremes.

The Supremes - The Happening (From 1967) And OMG how I forgot how much I LOVE this song.


There's The Ronettes (Ronnie Spector was married to that guy),


Then there's The Dixie Cups


And so on. I found the COOLEST album though, in my travels through Netland. It's called Girls In The Garage. Holy Awesome, Batman!



There are skulls and a devil right on the cover of the album! Right there, that equals Rockstar. They have the album for listening over on Lastfm.com (there are multiple volumes too. ::in auditory heaven::)

DENISE & CO.: Take Me As I Am
THE PUPPETS: Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart
THE MODELS: Bend Me, Shape Me (1966)
THE CHYMES: He's Not There Anymore (1966)
THE BITTERSWEETS: Hurtin' Kind (1965)
THE ID: Those Ever-Lovin' Baby Blues (unreleased)
THE BELLES: Come Back (1966)
THE BELLES: Melvin
THE LUV'D ONES: Up Down Sue (1966)
KIM & GRIM: You Don't Love Me (1965)
LYDIA MARCELL: The Girl He Needs (1967)
THE CONTINETNAL CO-ETS: Medley Of Junk (1966)
THE BEATLE-ETTES: Only Seventeen
ALTHEA & THE MEMORIES: Worse Record Ever Made(1964)
THE BLUE ORCHIDS: Oo Chang-a-Lang
THE GIRLS: Chico's Girl
THE LADYBUGS: How Do You Do It?
THE BOOTLES: I'll Let You Hold My Hand
THE TERMITES: Tell Me
THE SANSHERS: Gonna Git That Man
THE WHYTE BOOTS: Nightmare
LYN & THE INVADERS: Boy Is Gone
THE CHYMES: Quite A Reputation
THE DAUGHTERS OF EVE: Don't Waste My Time
THE CONTINENTAL CO-ETS: I Don't Love You No More
THE CHIMES OF FREEDOM: Jungle Rock
THE STARLETS: You Don't Love Me

And yes. On the album there is a band called The Beatle-ettes (You think this isn't right up my alley!? Ha!)


And The Bootles?! NICE!


Maybe it's just that I live my life subconsciously to become as awesome as The Carrie Nations in Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls. Complete with gay vampire manager guy.



No comments: