Friday, September 25, 2009

the stripy background. - Part 2.



So I have been thinking more about this background thing. I mean, it's in a lot of their videos and they are wearing the same clothes (well, maybe a couple of velvet shirt/blanket changes for Micky and Davy.) All of these videos were most likely filmed on the same day. And just like anything else, I must get to the bottom of it!


(Boy, if there were a job that was like "CSI: The 60s", I'd be RICH)




CAPE?! Check.






SPYGLASS?! Check.






GOOGLE?! Check.







Now on with the show!




How ridiculously hard is it to try and find info about this? I know the show was only filmed for two years -- 59 (?) episodes, but COME ON! I mean, there is a Monkees cover band for crap's sake (and I don't understand why you would pay to see a cover band when you can see the real band for nearly free, Sorry, Monkees, but it's kinda true). Cover band = success and should = more info on the web. All I've found out so far is that this was filmed in 1967. I feel foiled!

WAIT! I've got an idea!






Hmm. Okay. Screen grabs of all the videos to compare clothing! It's brilliant!















Pleasant Valley Sunday















Okay. Let's Start with Mike.




White shirt. Blue, striped tie, sometimes not. Rust, perhaps brown pants and a blue suit jacket thrown into the mix. I'll go so far as to suggest the suit jacket has white ruffles on the ends of the sleeves.




Striped turtleneck, rug, grey pants (are they striped?) and then blue velvet/felt/cotton/ whatever top when it's not the rug. Oh wait, then he's wearing a red Monkee shirt.




Oh Davy. Handsome. And besides the handsome he's also sporting black pants, a red, velvet Monkee top, which gets changed out to the George Harrison / I Am The Walrus top. Then at one point, or rather the Love Is Only Sleeping point, he seems to be wearing Peter's ivory outfit. Why you'd want to wear an outfit that your friend was just sweating in.. I don't know.

And lastly Peter.





Peter is wearing an ivory top with beads, and white pants, then he gets rid of the ivory top (presumably to give to Davy) and puts on a brown puffy shirt complete with brown leather(?) vest. Then he drops the brown puffy shirt for a blue puffy shirt, but keeps the brown vest.

Most of the pictures were stolen from this site The Vincent Van-Gogh-Gogh! Also check out this site which is linked through the above - FashionState.com .

I also found that from 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee that Micky's wearin' that rug - thing, again. Hippie.



But I think it's just Micky digging that thing, rather than it being a clue. Although... Look at Davy's hair. It was likely filmed very close to the filming of these videos.


Which, by the way...








Okay, back to the task at hand. Wait! Look at Pete's sideburns - too long. Scratch all this evidence. So all we've gathered from this is that Micky tooled around in that get-up a lot and the weezer cover looks strikingly similar to that 33 1/3 pic... Interesting....

I don't think I'm any closer to the truth than when I started.





No comments: