Monday, August 31, 2009

1990


Wayne's World was on the other day and I couldn't get over the fact that the movie came out in 1992, only 'cause I started doing some math in my head. 17 years?! That movie could've come out 5 years ago for all I could remember. And then, because I can't do my figuring correctly, I was trying to compare 1961-1980 (which is actually 19 years) to the Wayne's World thing. Since it's a flawed scale, let's bump it back two years to make it fair. 1990.
In 1961, the world had no idea who The Beatles were. They didn't even know. Ringo hadn't even joined the band yet, and in 1980, 19 years later, the world was collectively mourning the loss of John Lennon.

1961

1980


And whether you like them or not, it's hard to deny The Beatles' legacy and how they OWN music as we now know it (or the Yoko Ono and the estate of Michael Jackson do anyway).
So let's see what's happened in 19 years for us. That takes us back to 1990.
1. Hold On, Wilson Phillips
2. It Must Have Been Love, Roxette
3. Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinead O'Connor
4. Poison, Bell Biv Devoe
5. Vogue, Madonna
6. Vision Of Love, Mariah Carey
7. Another Day In Paradise, Phil Collins
8. Hold On, En Vogue
9. Cradle Of Love, Billy Idol
10. Blaze Of Glory, Jon Bon Jovi

Who knew, or remembered that 1990 was so RAD music-wise?! I could tangent this for hours, but we're going to hone in on my FRIGGIN' FAVE of 1990. Bel Biv DeVoe... Now you know. Yo, Slick, blow.







The Poison album is a party in a small, plastic box. No jokes about it.


Then there was the tv.

And guess what debuted in 1990.  Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air




And Beverly Hills, 90210.



Oh snaps.

And then the movies...

And as great as that all is, Carnie Wilson is now hosting Newlywed Game, Madonna is adpoting Malawian babies, Will Smith is earning Oscars, 90210 is seeing a second go, I think Bel Biv Devoe might be reuniting and Goodfellas is still the greatest movie in the entire planet. But I can't really say that any of it has the same impact that the 60s and 70s gave to the world. I know it's objective but say that to my face! I'll  throw down in a dance off! 


No comments: